Harris Fowler are specialist personal injury solicitors with a 92.8% success rate*, getting you the compensation you’re entitled to. At Harris Fowler, when we say ‘no win no fee’, we mean it, with no hidden extras.
What is ‘Personal Injury’?
Personal Injury is the term used when a person is physically and/or psychologically harmed as a result of an incident that came about through someone else’s actions eg if a person was in a car either as a passenger or a driver and another person then caused another vehicle to hit that car and physical and/or psychological harm was caused.
The different types of injury tend to be classified according to the incident leading to the injury. Some incidents will result in injuries that are complex such as Brain and Spinal injuries, Asbestosis Disease, or Medical or Dental Negligence. Other incidents involve less complex injuries and are referred to according to the type of accident eg Road Traffic or Public Liability.
There two main areas of the claim for compensation which are known as General Damages and Special Damages.
General Damages are awarded for the pain, suffering and loss of amenity (loss or reduction of a claimant’s mental or physical capacity to do the things they used to do). The court takes into account both the extent of the pain and suffering and the extra inconvenience that it causes.
Special Damages cover out of pocket losses that have occurred as a direct result of the injury. The list below is not exhaustive but usually includes the following:
- Loss of earnings, bonuses and overtime relevant to past, present and future earnings
- Travel to and from medical appointments with your GP or hospitals
- Medication expenses as a result of the injuries
- Medical care and rehabilitation eg physiotherapy
- Cost of special equipment or adaptations to your home that need to be made
- Care given to you by members of your family, friends or professionals such as assistance with domestic duties like housework, shopping or laundry and personal activities such as washing, dressing and feeding yourself
- Damage caused to your personal effects such as clothing or equipment
- Loss of future employment opportunities that may arise as a result of the injuries sustained, such as a promotion that you would not be able to take up or if you have to stop working in the job you were in when you were injured.
Make a Claim
It’s your right to claim – you could be entitled to thousands of pounds in compensation.
*Cases issued and finished between 01.01.16 and 31.12.16